Our practice has been leading the way in innovative architectural solutions for over 65 years.
Before the Second World War, a young Stanley Bragg was making a name for himself at Pertwee & Howard, a small practice based in Chelmsford. Following the introduction of the ambitious County of London Plan and the Greater London Plan in 1944, Stanley saw the impact this proposed overspill programme could have on his career and set up his own practice in 1948 to serve the increased volume of work coming into the region.
Upon its foundation, the practice consisted of Stanley and his secretary and with focus on domestic and industrial projects, the company’s reputation began to grow. By 1951, his work had gained sufficient reputation for the firm to be invited to design part of the Festival of Britain by the Borough of Chelmsford. This prestigious appointment put Stanley Bragg alongside national leaders of the architectural community as they collectively designed an exhibition that would promote the British contribution to science, technology and architecture to encourage a feeling of recovery following World War II.
Stanley’s enthusiasm and flair for communicating with his growing portfolio of clients led to an ever increasing number of commissions, including winning a project opportunity for a new factory in Chelmsford. This project was the catalyst for a period of growth for the practice and, in the next two decades, commissions were gained throughout the UK and overseas.
During the 1960s, the firm continued to grow and opened new offices in Witham to better serve its clients across the region. Stanley Bragg retired in 1978, confident that the ethos and original traditions of the business would enable it to continually thrive under new leadership.
Since 1985, we occupied Abbeygate One in the centre of Colchester. Formerly home to a clothing factory, our contemporary studios are located on the first floor with high trussed roof which provides an airy and distinctive studio environment in which to work and receive our clients.
In late December 2015, a new phase in the history of the company began when we relocated to our new offices at Pappus House, Tollgate West in Colchester.